There is a saying: In the morning, eat like a king; at lunch time, eat like a prince; and at dinnertime, eat like a pauper. Hence, a good breakfast is a vital part of healthy eating. Healthy eating is essential for a healthy person and a healthy mind. In this 21st century our knowledge around this subject is immense and still many of us make bad choices with our eating. Healthy eating starts at home and there are a few simple guidelines for meals in general:
- Offer variety using the 5 core food groups.
- Become familiar with appropriate portion sizes for your family.
- Present your cooking nicely to attract your children.
- Eat meals together.
You can access many recipes online but a few tried and proven ones are included here.
Homemade Baked Beans
Small amount of butter
A brown onion
Clove of garlic
425g no added salt chopped tomatoes
Lge can cannellini beans
1/3 cup water
Parsley to garnish
- Melt butter in saucepan on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and water and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and stir to combine. Simmer for 10 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Make toast and serve beans on toast and garnish with chopped parsley.
Note: You can add some chopped ham or bacon (about 100g with the beans if desired.)
1 free range egg
- Bring water to boil in small pot. When boiling add egg.
- If egg has been in the fridge, set timer to 5 minutes; if not 4 minutes should do.
- Toast bread and cut into fingers.
- Serve in egg cup.
Quick Scrambled Eggs
1-2 free range eggs
Small nob butter
- Crack eggs into small put
- Add butter and milk and whisk with a fork
- Cook on medium heat, stirring often.
- Make toast and put eggs on top of toast. You can cut the toast into squares for easier eating.
Mmmm Muesli, Fruit and Yoghurt
Natural or fat free yoghurt
Preferred fruit or fruit in season (eg ¼ green apple, 2 strawberries, few blueberries)
Your preferred muesli.
- Wash and chop fruit
- Place muesli in a bowl
- Sprinkle chopped fruit on top
- Add 1-2 tablespoons yoghurt.
At Angel’s Paradise Early Education Centre our qualified cook can provide a variety of nutritious options for breakfast.